The Emery High Speech and Debate team dominated at the Beaver Battles Tournament on Saturday.
After competing in debates in the morning and individual events in the evening, the team took home 40 trophies and first place sweepstakes. The tournament offered three different debates and six different individual events and Emery placed in every category but oratory. The Spartans sometimes placed five out of the six spots available. 40 trophies altogether were taken home, making it past the team’s goal of earning 200 trophies by state. The team now has 213 total trophies on the season.
Jenny Anderson, team co-captain, became emotional when asked about the tournament.
“It was wonderful. I am so happy to be a part of this team,” she said. “this is the last tournament I will ever be able to participate in because I am graduating this year, and it is going to be hard not being able to compete any more.”
Next up for Emery is region, then state.
Lincoln Douglas Debate:
1. Rachel Roberts, 2. Mia Doria, 4. Ashley Stilson
1. Talin Hansen and Adrienne Carter, 2. Brinne and Derrick Dawes, 3. Kassidee Oakeson and Savannah Woolsey, 4. McKade Hansen and Madelyn Carter, and 5. Polson DeMott and Taylor Hardman
2. McKayla Worthen, and 3. Laurel Jefferies
2. Jenny Anderson, 5. Rachel Roberts, and 6. Laurel Jefferies
3. Tyler Dasch and Taylor Weihing, 4. Laurel Jefferies and Aj Borba, and 5. Whitney Withers and Jeremiah Luke
1. Taylor Hardman, 2. Savannah Woolsey, 3. Adrienne Carter, 4. Madelyn Carter, and 5. Taylor Weihing
2. Taylor Hardman, 3. Mia Doria, and 6. Madelyn Carter
1. Talin Hansen, 2. Adrienne Carter, 3. Caleb Woolsey, and 6. Mia Doria
4. Adam Brinkworth, and 6. McKahl Johnson 6th
Adrienne Carter and Mia Doria took home MVP awards. McKahl Johnson was awarded the sportsmanship award.