Car enthusiasts gathered at the Helper Arts Festival throughout the weekend for a burnout and a car show.
On Friday, a burnout took place at Helper City Park with 12 participants. Joe Stout took home the first place prize of $100 in a 1969 Camero. He was awarded the prize for having the most smoke, receiving the most applause and for going the longest distance in a relatively straight light. Scott Manchester was awarded $80 for coming in second in his 1989 Ford Ranger. He also won a plaque for best performance in the posit-traction category.
A car show was then hosted on Main Street on Saturday morning. Members of the community had the chance to take a look at a variety of cars, trucks and motorcycles at the event.
“The show was a great time to talk with old friends and meet new ones,” event organizer Ruth Metzger said. “Many of the cars will be featured in our 2015 Car Show Calendar.”
Some of the results from the event are as follows:
- Best of Show: Sponsored by Tony Basso GM, winner Kevin Swanson with a 1956 Chevy Bel-Air
- Miss Carbon County Choice: Sponsored by Price Insurance-Roy Nikas, winner John and Debbie Petrie with a 1959 Chevy Pickup
- Arts Festival Choice: Sponsored by Cal & Lisa Ockey owners of the Helper Liquor Store, winner Ruth Metzger with a 1957 Ford Thunderbird
- Mayor’s Choice: Sponsored by Smith Coaches, winner Kevin Swanson with a 1956 Chevy Bel-Air
- Best of 1930’s Stock: Sponsored by Swire Coke Cola, winner Roger Metzger with a 1930 Model A Coupe
- Best of 1940’s Stock: Sponsored by The Regis Club, winner Roger Metzger with a 1947 Ford Coupe
- Best of 1950’s Custom: Sponsored by Swift Stop & Shop and Handy Mart, winner Paul Leturgez with a 1955 Chevy Coupe
- Best of 1950’s Stock: Sponsored by Mitchell Funeral Home, winner Tara Kalatzes with a 1956 Thunderbird
- Best of 1960’s Custom: Sponsored by Washington Federal, winner Frank Markoseil with a 1968 Chevy Chevelle
- Best of 1960’s Stock: Sponsored by Grako’s Tire Pros, winner Tina Howard with a 1969 Chevy Corvette
- Best of 1970’s Custom: Sponsored by Mitchell Funeral Home, winner Dennis Ardohain with a 1970 Chevy Chevelle SS
- Best of 1970’s Stock: Sponsored by South Eastern Utah Title, winner Karl and Vicki Potter with a 1977 Dodge Pickup
- Best of 2000 to present: Sponsored by Tony Basso GM, winner Kenneth Huff with a 2007 Nissan
A special thanks to the sponsors of all the awards at the car show and to Carl Potter at Pro Sound.