Changes in the Rehabilitation of Millsite Dam

Millsite.jpg

Millsite Dam

Roger Barton from the Ferron Creek Irrigation Company Board presented the updated plans for the rehabilitation of Millsite Dam to the Public Lands Board on Tuesday.

Situated on the Joe’s Valley fault and due to the large amount of sediment in the reservoir, the dam has need of rehabilitation. The dam will be raised four feet and dredged 10 feet deeper. This will make it able to store an extra 1,500 cubic feet of water. The dam will be stabilized and a filter installed. The reservoir will then be 94 feet deep.

The cost of this rehabilitation will be nearly $29.6 million. The Natural Resources Conservation Service share is 65% and local cost will be the remaining 35%. The entities participating are Ferron Canal and Reservoir Company, Department of Natural Resources, NRCS, Bureau of Land Mangement and Ferron Creek Watershed. All surroundings will be rebuilt, including Millsite State Park and campground as well as Millsite Golf Course. The bidding process was set back one month when the State of Utah needed a new permit, so bid opening will be the end of May.

Barton also updated the flooding situation in Green River. He reported they are pleading with the Bureau of Reclamation to increase the flow from Flaming Gorge to help regulate the run off downstream at Green River later. This will help alleviate flooding there.

Jake Palma reported a new Recreational Planner with the BLM, Ben Karajo. He reminded the group of the Wood Hill Trail System Grand Opening on Saturday at 10 a.m., Joe’s Valley bouldering projects, and Deer Creek EA revision. They are also conducting a visitors survey of the Temple Mountain area.

John Baza, DOGM, reported on the Skyline Mine lease near Flat Canyon and what is going to happen. He expects legal wrangling all summer. Appeals from Huntington Cleveland Irrigation, intervention from Canyon Fuel, and PacifiCorp makes the approval expected around August. Carbon County conservation District has also become involved.

A new lease was received from an old mineral deposit sight along Highway 10 near the Sevier and Emery county lines. Bronco Mine has received the go ahead and should be in production soon.

The Division of Wildlife Resources reminded about gill nettings in the local area. The turkey hunt is on and tags can still be purchased over the counter. Other activities include Moab Bird Club at Desert Lake on May 6, Badges and Bobbers on May 13, Gals and Guns in Green River on May 20, and the RAC meeting on May 10. There will be only one pheasant hunt this year on all lands for one month.

Forest Ranger Daren Olsen reported the sage grouse seeding on South Huntington to be implemented in June or July. He also reported on a family group size pavilion to be installed on the west side of Joe’s Valley Reservoir. He then reported that most gates are still closed as the snow melt has been slowed and roads still have drifts on them.

Johnathan Hunt with Utah State Parks reported that camping has been slower than usual with the cooler temperatures.

The Washington delegation all reported that things are in limbo waiting on Senator Jason Chaffetz’ decision, but they still remain very supportive of the Emery County public land issues and Emery County Land Bill.

 

scroll to top
WordPress Video Lightbox
X
X