Help Decide How Wildlife is Managed in Utah


Wildlife Regional Advisory Councils across Utah are looking for members. RAC members provide input to the Utah Wildlife Board about management recommendations proposed by the DWR.

DWR Press Release

Spots will soon be open on Utah’s five Regional Advisory Councils

Your chance is here to join a council that helps decide how wildlife is managed in Utah.

Several positions will soon be open on Utah’s five wildlife Regional Advisory Councils (RACs).

What the RACs do

Each RAC holds about six meetings a year. At the meetings, RAC members listen to proposals from the Division of Wildlife Resources about hunting, fishing and wildlife management in Utah. They also take input from the public about the proposals.

After voting on which proposals each RAC prefers, the chairperson for that RAC presents its recommendations to the Utah Wildlife Board. Members of the board consider the input. Then, the board makes the final decision regarding how wildlife is managed in Utah.

The RAC meetings usually last from three to five hours. The meetings are held in the evenings, usually on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday night.

Applying to serve  

RAC members represent one of six interests: hunters, anglers and trappers; those who don’t hunt or fish; ranchers and farmers; locally-elected public officials; federal land managing agencies; and the public-at-large.

To fill one of the upcoming vacancies, you must live in the region of the state you wish to represent. Also, no later than March 15, you must do the following:

·          If you want to represent the public-at-large, you must contact a group in your community and ask them to nominate you. Political groups, town councils, animal sanctuary committees and recreational groups are examples of groups that have nominated people in the past.

·          If you want to fill one of the other positions on the RAC—except for the federal land managing agency position—you must contact a conservation group or organization in your region and ask that they nominate you to serve in the vacancy you’d like to fill.

For example, if you want to fill a sportsman’s vacancy, you must contact a Utah sportsman’s group and ask them to nominate you for the vacancy.

Nominating groups and organizations must submit their nominations by 5 p.m. on March 15.

To learn about wildlife or conservation groups in your area, contact the nearest DWR office.

Federal land managing agencies appoint their own representatives to the RACs.

How to get a form

You can download a RAC nomination form at Nomination forms are also available at any DWR office.

More information

For more information, call the nearest DWR office, or send an email to Staci Coons, the DWR’s Wildlife Board/RAC coordinator, at

scroll to top