High Speed Chase Sends Man to Prison


Nicholas Taylor appeared before Judge George Harmond in the Seventh District Court on Monday for charges against him regarding a vehicle theft from Tony Basso GM in February, as well as additional charges from August.

Judge Harmond adivsed that Taylor’s actions were serious and a danger to citizens.

“I’ve thought a lot about this case,” Harmond said. “It is a miracle no one was injured.”

From the February case, Taylor, 24, was charged with attempted theft, a third degree felony; failure to stop or respond at the command of police, a third degree felony; and criminal mischief, a third degree felony. Taylor will serve 0-5 years in the Utah State Prison for these charges.

Also from the February incident, Taylor was charged with reckless driving and driving on suspended license, class B misdemeanors. He will serve 0-5 months for these charges. He also owes over $3,000 to Tony Basso GM as restitution.

Also on Monday, Taylor was sentenced for incidents occurring in August of last year. They include failure to stop at the command of a police office, a class A misdemeanor (0-1 year); driving on suspended license, a class B misdemeanor (0-6 months); operating a vehicle without an ignition interlock device (0-6 months); and interfering with an arresting officer, a class B misdemeanor (0-6 months).

Taylor was arrested following a high speed chase that lasted more than four hours on February 1.

That morning, Carbon County Sheriff’s Deputy Isaiah Palmer attempted to stop a vehicle driven by Taylor east of Price on SR6. Taylor failed to stop and took off at a high rate of speed heading toward Wellington. The chase continued west on Ridge Road to SR10. Law enforcement officers from Price City, Helper City, Utah Highway Patrol, Wellington City, Carbon County Sheriff’s Office SWAT and AP&P all assisted in the incident.

According to Sgt. Ronnie Bogdin of the Carbon County Sheriff’s Office, while leading officers in the high speed chase, Taylor called dispatch and told officers to back off, warning that he was armed with an AK-47 assault rifle and would “not be taken into custody alive.”

The suspect then fled from the vehicle and traveled on foot to the Wood Hill area. Officers searched ravines and plateaus north of Price when a tip from a resident in Carbonville advised that the suspect was seen running through a field by the Price River.

Law enforcement surrounded the area and apprehended Taylor around 3:50 that afternoon, just south of Circle C trailer court. When he was taken into custody, Taylor did not have an assault rifle on him and one was not found in his vehicle.

scroll to top