One Suspect Arrested in High Speed Chase Near Green River, Another Suspect at Large


A high speed chase near Green River Tuesday afternoon resulted in the arrest of one suspect while another is still at large.

According to Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Todd Royce, the incident began at approximately 4:45 p.m. on Highway 6 near milepost 291 when a trooper stopped a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu with Washington plates. During the routine traffic stop, the trooper engaged two occupants and gathered personal information from both. While the trooper was in his patrol car running the suspect’s information, the Malibu made a U-turn and sped away traveling southbound on Highway 6 toward Green River.

As the chase ensured, the Malibu merged onto I-70 and traveled eastbound toward Green River. The Emery County Sheriff’s Office joined in the pursuit and assisted by blocking the ramp into Green River.

During the chase, speeds reached between 60 and 125 mph, Royce indicated. “Because of the potential danger to the public, the chase was terminated at milepost 162,” Sgt. Royce stated. ” The identity of both suspects were known and the investigation continued.”

Later that evening, a UHP trooper along with an Emery County Sheriff’s Deputy spotted the suspect’s vehicle at a motel in Green River. The pair then followed a single occupant in the vehicle through town, later terminating the effort due to reckless driving.

Royce explained that further investigation indicated that the suspects were checked in to the hotel. A search warrant was then obtained and one suspect was in the room and arrested when police arrived with the warrant. However, the second suspect is still at large. Royce explained that the person’s identity is known and officials are still actively looking for the individual.

“With good investigative work, we were able to get one bad guy and are looking for the second,” Royce explained. “It was best for the motoring public that the chase was called off. We are confident that the other suspect will be apprehended.”

Because the investigation is still ongoing, names of the suspects involved will not be released at this time. Also, authorities do not feel that the public is currently in any danger.

scroll to top