Renovations Underway to Restore Bryner Museum


Information provided by Sue Christensen

It is claimed that the Bryner home in Price is the oldest remaining brick home in the city. It was built in 1892, which was when Emery County encompassed Carbon County. Linda Varner, community member, was able to locate the original deed.

Albert Bryner was the second of three sons born to Ulrich and Maria Mathis Bryner. Ulrich gave Albert and his wife, Mariah Pace, a plot of land on the corner of 1st South and 1st East in Price on which to build a home. The home was constructed between 1890 and 1892, whereupon Albert was called on a mission to Germany for the LDS Church.

The Bryner Museum Foundation is restoring the home to make it a museum in order to preserve history and create a historical attraction in Southeastern Utah.

The first floor of the home will be restored to the original 1890’s era, and the second floor will be decorated in the 1920’s to 1950’s style to reflect the history of the people who lived there.

Board members of the Bryner Museum Foundation include Marvin Mutz as CFO and Beth Gotfredson as secretary. Also on the board are Bruce Bryner (chairman), Penny Sampinos, Sue McVoy, Rita Alderson, Neil Warren, Betty Wheeler and Jolene Hannah. Former members include Stacy Hijmonas, Helen Smith, Bryce Bryner and Linda Varner. Sue Christensen is the director of the museum.

The Bryner home has a particularly unique and interesting history in Price. When the railroad station was built,  many people from Emery County  would drive their horse and buggy to Price to stay overnight with the Bryner family. The next morning, they would take the train to Salt Lake.

Eventually, Albert and his wife relocated from Price to St. George due to health issues. Once the move was complete, the second floor of the Bryner house was made into an apartment. Many residents of Price have a connection to the house due to the tenants that resided there.

Bryner’s house has also in its time been three different mortuaries. The Wallace Mortuary occupied the house for 17 years. After Mr. Wallace passed away, Mr. Thomas took over. Mr. Thomas’ wife, Ida Thomas, was a piano teacher. Many community members took piano lessons from her in the home.

There have been a number of other businesses that have temporarily claimed the Bryner house as a home. The Price Upholstery company, a dairy company and the Central Utah Credit Union have all resided there.

When the home is open to the public, locals and travelers will be able to see many of the original furnishings. Grants have been received from several organizations to fund the renovation. There has also been a plethora of time and  money donated from members of the community. Nelco Contractors, Inc. recently finished repouring the sidewalks around the home and rebuilding the balconies to their original form.

The current focus of the home’s renovation is the interior. The hope of the board is that the first floor of the museum will be ready to open sometime in the upcoming summer. The board would like to be able to give school tours, offer the home for private dinners, performances of chamber music and other events. A relationship has been forming between the members of the board and the Daughters of Utah Pioneers.

There are still certain things needed to complete the renovations to the museum. Presently needed donations include: money, yard caretakers, docents, people skilled in restoring old furniture and record keepers to organize the files and digitize artifacts.

To donate any of the items above or for more information on this project, contact Sue Christensen at 630-1969.

scroll to top