Over 500 participants from across the state braved the frigid temperatures on Saturday for a chance to reel in the biggest fish during Scofield’s fishathalon.
Warm boots, an auger, pole and bait were all that was required during the event, and let’s not forget the skill and patience required in the art of ice fishing. The tournament began at 8a.m. and ended at 2p.m., with the last fish coming in to be measured at 2:30p.m. Tensions were high as one after another fish were laid down to be measured that trumped the one that came before. On the line was not only cash prizes, but bragging rights in the fishing community for the year.
After every fish had been measured, and some weighed, it was Gregory Young (West Valley) and his 16 3/4in Rainbow that took home В 1st place and $300. The results are listed below
1) Gregory Young 16 3/4 inch. В West Valley City $300
2) Bill Brown В В В В 15 3/8 inch. В South Jordan $200
3) Dusty Mecham В 15 1/8 inch. В $150
4) Su Jones В В В В В 14 3/8 inch В Huntington $100
4) Carson Morley В В 14 3/8 inch В Kaysville В $50
5) Josh Enz В В В В В 14 3/8 inch В Ogden $50 ( gift certificates)
The event was sponsored by many generousВ businessВ and community supporters and the DWR.