A grant was approved Tuesday at the Emery County Commission meeting for a new kiosk at the Lucky Strike Mining Area in the San Rafael Swell. The estimated cost of the new kiosk is $8,500. Commissioners approved $4,250 for the project.
The new kiosk will be similar to the recently-constructed kiosk at the Temple Mountain site located near Goblin Valley State Park. The Lucky Strike Mining Area is located in the southwest corner of Emery County.
“You need to go see their kiosk if you haven’t because it’s beautifully done,” Commissioner James Nelson said.
Other notes from the meeting:
- Commissioner Laurie Pitchforth was not in attendance due to out-of-state business.
- Commissioners approved the renewal of the county’s medical insurance plan. It was noted that there would be no increase in premiums from the previous year.
- Commissioners approved a letter of support for fire restrictions that were recently enacted by the Bureau of Land Management. “I am very personally attached to supporting fire restrictions and say we should send the letter,” said Nelson. He also urged the community to support the restrictions by having fires in fire pits and designated campgrounds only.
- Commissioners approved 2012 Emery County and Special Service District tax rates.
- Commissioners also discussed a Relay For Life bass tournament and how great it was to have the National Guard in Emery County for training.
The next Emery County Commission meeting is slated for June 26 at 9 a.m.